Wants to know how to fix discord installation has failed error? People who are avid players of online system games are likely familiar with Discord. In many ways, you can consider the app as Skype for gamers. It is designed to support players coordinate and communicate via private servers, providing them with access to text and voice chat features. Discord’s popularity improved exponentially in recent years, with more and more users installing the app and creating their accounts.
However, like other software programs, Discord is no stranger to problems. So, you might question, What if I can’t install Discord on Windows 10? This is a subject that many people have asked about recently. You are not the only one experiencing the issue. Many users reported that they had encountered the Installation has failed problem message while trying to add Discord to their computers.
You have to know that Discord can run into various issues, and most of them have something to do with corrupted files. After all, Windows 10 updates have been identified to interfere with new programs that users add to their PCs. The update files may come in dispute with internal Discord packages. Once you try to remove and reinstall the application, you might see the error message.
What causes the error Discord Installation has failed?
After checking multiple user reports and coming up with experiments of our own, we concluded that the following factors usually cause this error message:
- Corrupt/abundant local data: If you are reinstalling Discord on your system after you have removed it earlier, you might have forgotten to remove the local files stored against your profile. These local files regularly conflict with Discord when you try to install it again.
- Antivirus software: Antivirus software is recognized to block installations of several applications on your computer as a false positive. Disabling them solves the issue.
- Microsoft .NET Framework: Discord demands that you have the .NET framework already installed on your computer. If the module is not present, you will seemingly experience this error message.
Before we move on to the resolutions, make sure that you are logged in as an administrator on your computer. Also, it would be best if you had an active open internet connection without proxies and VPNs.
How to Fix the Discord Installation has Failed Problem Easily?
Deleting Local Data
If you have earlier used Discord any time in the past, the chances are that the local files are still present on your computer and are not deleted. If the local data is still current in the system and you are trying to install Discord on top of that, you will not be able to install it. The Discord apps check and try to make local data folders and registry entries. If these are previously present, it cannot overwrite them. We will navigate to the local folders and delete the data manually in this answer.
Before we delete the local data, we will try to end all Discord processes on your system.
- Hit Windows + R, type taskmgr in the dialogue box, and press Enter.
- Once in the task manager, locate any processes of Discord running—Right-click on each one of them and select End Task.
- Press Windows + R and type “%LocalAppData%” in the dialogue box and press Enter.
- Locate the folder named Discord—Right-hit on it and select Delete.
- Restart your computer correctly and check if you can install it properly on your computer.
Installing Microsoft .NET Framework
Microsoft .NET Framework is an overall architecture used by various applications and games alike. It enables application developers to develop their applications on top of existing classes and libraries developed by Microsoft. Usually, .NET Framework is automatically installed on your system, but there are some cases where this might not happen (usually when you migrate your disk or because of administrative issues).
In this resolution, we will install the .NET Framework manually after downloading it from the official website and then try installing it. If it still doesn’t run, we will go ahead and manually relocate the installation folder.
Note: This solution requires archiving software installed on your system (such as WinRAR or 7-ZIP).
- Go to the official Microsoft website and download the .NET Framework executable to an accessible location.
- Now right-hit on the executable and select Run as administrator. After the installation is complete, restart your computer and check if you can install it properly.
If you still cannot continue with the installation error, follow the steps listed below:
- Right-click on the Discord Installer and select Extract to/7-Zip >DiscordSetup.
- A new folder will be created. Enter in Local Disk C and move the DiscordSetup folder inside.
- Now open the DiscordSetup folder and locate the file Discord-0.0.300-full.nupkg. The version number (0.0.300) of Discord might be slightly different from here if you are trying to install a newer release. Right-hit on it and Extract it in the same directory.
- Now navigate to the following path:
DiscordSetup> Discord-0.0.300-full > lib > net45
Here you will find the Discord application. Right-click on it and choose Run as administrator. Discord should now launch without any issues. Since it is cumbersome to come here every time to launch the app, you can hit a shortcut to your Desktop.
Disabling Antivirus Software
Antivirus software is recognized to block the installation processes of several applications (as a false positive). There are numerous cases where the virus definitions are not updated, and the Antivirus doesn’t allow several actions to execute and quarantines them.
If you have any Antivirus software installed on your system, you should temporarily disable them and then try installing. If this doesn’t work, you can uninstall them entirely and then check. This also goes for system monitoring services; disable them and then try Discord again.
Installing in Safe Mode with Networking
If none of the methods shown above assisted you at all, it’s possible that there is a third-party program or there is a driver that’s conflicting with the process cause “Installation has failed” error. Don’t worry; to resolve an installation that has failed error, you can do a quick trick to bypass all these third-party programs and drivers. Safe mode enables Windows only to boot stock/default services and programs. To resolve the Installation has failed issue on Discord, follow the steps below:-
- Hit on the Start Menu icon and hold the right shift button on your keyboard, then hit the Restart button
- Now, wait for the Windows recovery window to show up. Once it shows up, press “Troubleshoot”.
- Now click “Advanced Options”.
- Click on “Startup Settings”.
- Now once you are in Startup Settings, hit Restart.
- Now once your system restarts, you should see a blue screen with multiple options.
- Select “Safe mode with networking” by using the “F5” key.
- Once you are in the safe mode, hit and hold the Windows key, then press the “R” key to open Run.
- Type “appwiz.cpl” and press enter. Now find and uninstall Discord from the List.
- Now download the new Installer of Discord.
- Install the Discord Client and check to see if the issue persists.
- Once the Discord Client is installed, you can restart your system to normal mode.